10 Best Pittsburgh Museums for Travelers
Welcome to Pittsburgh, the Steel City, and home to a wealth of museums and cultural institutions. As a boutique hotel located on the North Side of Pittsburgh, we are proud to be surrounded by some of the city's most fascinating and inspiring museums. Whether you're a history buff, art lover, or just looking for a unique and enriching experience, there's something for everyone in Pittsburgh. Here are our picks for the 10 best museums in Pittsburgh for travelers, along with their proximity to the Priory Hotel and the Northside.
1. Andy Warhol Museum: Located just a few blocks from the Priory Hotel, the Andy Warhol Museum is a must-see for anyone interested in contemporary art and pop culture. The museum features an extensive collection of Warhol's paintings, prints, photographs, and films, as well as works by other artists influenced by his groundbreaking style.
2. Carnegie Museum of Art: One of the top art museums in the country, the Carnegie Museum of Art is just a short drive from the North Side. The museum features an impressive collection of contemporary and modern art, as well as works by Old Masters and other historical artists.
3. Carnegie Museum of Natural History: Located right next to the Carnegie Museum of Art, the Carnegie Museum of Natural History is a great place to learn about the natural world. The museum's exhibits cover everything from dinosaurs and ancient civilizations to the geology and ecology of western Pennsylvania.
4. Children's Museum of Pittsburgh: A favorite among families, the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh is located just across the Allegheny River from the North Side. The museum features hands-on exhibits and activities that encourage kids to explore science, art, and engineering.
5. Frick Art & Historical Center: Located about 15 minutes from the North Side, the Frick Art & Historical Center is a sprawling estate that includes a museum, art gallery, and gardens. The museum features a collection of European and American art, as well as artifacts from the Gilded Age.
6. Heinz History Center: Located in Pittsburgh's Strip District, the Heinz History Center is a must-see for history buffs. The museum covers the history of western Pennsylvania, from the earliest Native American settlements to the present day.
7. Mattress Factory: Located just a few blocks from the Priory Hotel, the Mattress Factory is a contemporary art museum that specializes in site-specific installations. The museum features works by both established and emerging artists, and is known for its cutting-edge exhibitions.
8. National Aviary: Located just across the Allegheny River from the North Side, the National Aviary is home to over 500 birds from around the world. Visitors can get up close and personal with birds of prey, penguins, and other fascinating species.
9. Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens: Located about 15 minutes from the North Side, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is a stunning oasis in the heart of Pittsburgh. The conservatory features a variety of indoor and outdoor gardens, as well as seasonal flower shows and special exhibits.
10. Randyland: An art museum just a few minutes walk from The Priory. It is widely regarded as one of America's most colorful public art landmarks. Randy Gilson is the founder of this museum, which showcases found object art.
As you can see, Pittsburgh is home to a diverse collection of museums and attractions that are sure to delight and inspire travelers of all ages. And as a guest at the Priory Hotel, you'll be in the perfect location to explore all that the city has to offer. We hope you enjoy your stay in Pittsburgh!